Transitions and Thank you

Change is hard.  

Actually, I'm not so sure change is as hard as not changing is just comforting.  When we don't change, we know what to expect.  When we don't change, life is more predictable.  When we don't change, we aren't challenged.

Change, however, is inevitable.  Everyone knows this.  Still, change is hard.

My beloved Novi Woods community is about to experience change like they haven't seen in 12 years because I am retiring.  Novi Woods is getting a new principal, and I have some hints for what to expect and how to help.

First, I encourage everyone to take a deep breath.  Lean on what we do well.  Novi Woods has a long, long history of being understanding, proactive, kind, determined, safe, and inclusive, and there is no reason why any of this should change.  If anything, I am hopeful this grows and improves.  Remember a school or community is not one person.  A true community needs a leader, for sure, but a community also needs all of its members to exhibit the characteristics we expect for each other--not just the leader.

Next, our students need a growth mindset modeled for them.  Change in life is inevitable.  As adults we have experienced many small and even large changes, and our students and children are watching us to see how we navigate life's ups and downs.  Our students need to hear language like, "It's going to be so great!  You get to welcome a new principal!"  Or, "Yes, Mr. Ascher is retiring, but this means he gets to spend more time with his family and friends and explore new adventures--just like he wants you to do!"  In my 30+ years of working with young people I am always amazed at what our kids can understand and sense through language and expectations.  Expect our kids to do well, and model positive language regarding change.  Our kids have a remarkable ability to be future-focused!

Finally, expect a few bumps.  There's a reason why we call some things "growing pains."  The new principal will want to get to know you and the entire community.  You will want to get to know the new principal.  Getting to know each other just takes time.  I have spent the last few months reflecting--a lot, and I am embarrassed at how many missteps and mistakes I have made throughout my career even though my intent has always been to help.  Still, I have said things and done things that I know now were wrong.  I could have and should have done better--especially based on what I know now.  But, I am eternally grateful for the grace granted to me by so many colleagues, students and families.  The new principal will feel the same way.

I am confident Novi Woods will transition well.  Yes, the last 12 years have been life-changing (especially for me), but I am even more confident the best is yet to come for Novi Woods.

Lastly--a few fun hints for parents that a new principal won't say to you:   :)

  • Be sure your phone is set-up to receive voicemails.  You never know when emergencies arise.
  • Barring road construction, help your child get to school on time.
  • Read newsletters.  The information there is helpful.
  • Get involved.  Our PTO is always looking for helpers.  Even if you can't be at school during the day, there is a place for you.
  • Don't assume everything your child shares with you that happens at school is 100% accurate.  Trust me, school won't assume everything your child says that happens at home is accurate.
  • If your child is struggling, work with the school team.  They want to help.
  • Model laughter, joy, compassion, and love at home.  Kids do not yet have-nor should they have-filters to understand sarcasm.
  • Understand that living with 1-4 kids is different than working with 25+ or even 500+ kids.
  • Please pull all the way forward in the car line.  (My personal favorite.)


If I may--This will be the final post of my career.  I started this blog 10 years ago.  I've written about many diverse topics from grit to becoming an empty nester.  I wrote about winning the lottery and I even recounted a touching love story.  As expected, some entries have drawn more attention than others.  Still, my blog has given me an opportunity to share insights and (hopefully) inspiring messages that require a few more characters than a tweet or a Facebook post.  Most of my inspiration, however, has come from what I observe and experience in this most-remarkable school and school community.  Thank you, and thank you to everyone who has responded, encouraged me, and supported this endeavor.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Call to Action

I Won the Lottery