I Won the Lottery

It's true.  It's me.  I won the lottery.

No...not that lottery.  I won the real lottery.  In fact, I've won multiple times.

How does this elementary principal and educator come to write a blog about winning the lottery?  That's the best story of all.  Read on...

The recent billion dollar winning ticket was sold at a grocery store about a mile from our school.  I awoke Saturday morning and read the story in our newspaper.  I texted that story to a friend and retiree from our school whose husband happens to be the manager of that store.  It was one of those, "Hey, this is a unique connection to a billion dollars" type of texts.  My wife and I went about our morning with breakfast and other household chores.  Then things got really interesting.

A parent in our school texted me about a project she wants to do for the 4th graders in our school, and she happened to share that a rumor was going around that the winning ticket was purchased by a group of teachers from another school in our district.  I responded that I hoped someone deserving had won the lottery.

Just after that exchange I started getting texts and emails that the winning ticket was purchased by a group of teachers at my school.  When I say texts and emails, I mean LOTS of texts, emails, and calls.  I lost count, but I heard from neighbors, teachers, retirees, parents, friends, principals, assistant superintendents, and more.  I knew it was getting odd when this picture was sent to me.


To the best of my knowledge, a staff member from another school created this and started sharing it.  That's a not-so-flattering picture of me singing with students in our cafeteria.

Our elementary principal group texted back and forth throughout Saturday, and one principal said the local NBC station had called her.  We had been enjoying the diversion from recent news cycles, and it had been a fun day.

Then came Sunday.

My wife, mother in-law and I were watching our online church service, and our phone rang.  It was the local NBC affiliate.  (I'm not making this up.)

My phone continued to buzz for most of the day.  Friends, colleagues, and more parents have reached out congratulating me and/or our school.

The local ABC affiliate emailed me.  We exchanged emails.  Apparently I am going to be on Good Morning America.  (I will be wearing a tie on Monday just in case.)

A parent who is also a financial planner sent me a very nice note offering to help anyone in our building.

Principals and other administrators from across the district have offered to help if things are hectic at school on Monday.  (I work with an amazing team.)

I have never been part of a rumor web like this in the past, but it has been a nice diversion from current events.  It makes you think about the "what ifs."  It's also has been humbling when people say, "I really hope it is you or your teachers.  You deserve it."  Sometimes they say things like, "I can't think of a more special guy to win this lottery."

How do you respond to statements like these?

Regardless who wins this lottery, I hope they can use the money for good and it doesn't ruin their life.  A billion dollars is a lot of stress.  I really hope it is a group of teachers.  It's been a tough few months, for sure.  I really hope it's a group of teachers in my building.  As I told the ABC reporter, "...the amazing students, teachers and families in my building. They are inspirational, and I have the best job in the world."

But..I know who won the lottery.

I did..many times.

1.) I have been privileged to work in my district for almost 26 years now.  I am a better educator, learner, and leader for having worked in Novi.  I have been encouraged to take risks.  Others have helped me up when I have stumbled, and I have had many opportunities to celebrate victories with students, teachers, and families.  My colleagues are an absolute team, and we are focused on student growth, proficiency, and well-being for all.  It is a remarkable district, and it is an honor to be part of Novi.

2.) My faith has helped me put all of the many blessing in perspective.  I am still on a long journey, but each step has helped me become a better person with a better outlook for life and love for all.

3.) I have so many family and friends who remind me how rich I really am.  Our daughters are extra special, but my extended family and friends are also amazing. I'm fond of repeating a statement from my great uncle, "Measure your wealth by your address book and not your checkbook."  I am rich beyond belief.

4.)  Most of all, I won the Lottery 27 years ago when the woman who would become my wife 25 years ago agreed to go out on a date with me.  Kimberly is absolutely the best thing to have ever happened to me.  She completes me and make me a better person.  I only hope I do the same for her.

This weekend has been fun and funny.  I hope the winner comes forward soon, and I hope as you begin your week you realize you have won the lottery--in even a small way.  I know that I am already a big, big winner.




Comments

  1. God bless you on your family I win 10 dollars off it

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So inspiring! Would you be interested in sharing more of this viewpoint?
    God bless you, your colleagues and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Novi, Novi Woods, and I are happy to share. Please feel free to contact me at david.ascher@novik12.org

      Delete
  4. You are so blessed. One could only dream. Congratulations to you and your family... My name is Michele.. honeybunch20@outlook.com. I really could use help. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions and Thank you

A Call to Action