Hello Fifty

Ring, ring.  Ring, ring.

Hello, who's there?

50?  I'm not sure who that is.  Say it one more time.

Fifty?  You mean like Five Zero?  Are you sure you don't have the wrong number?  Aren't you looking for someone...uhm...much older?

Ok.  Ok.  Maybe you're right.  This is me.

How did you get here so fast?  I really wasn't expecting you yet.  Where did you come from?  Hey...As long as you've called, I have lots of questions for you.  Are you really just 25 times 2?  I remember 25.  It was, after all just "yesterday," wasn't it?  Yes, I remember 25, but some days you feel like 25 times 4 to me.  Fortunately, most days you feel more like 25 plus just-a-few.  

No, you don't scare me, and I guess I'm glad you're here.  Many of my best friends, mentors, and heroes have already met you.  They report mostly positives regarding your arrival.  I know, for sure, it's surely better than you not calling at all.  Plus, I'm not very interested in going backwards.

Still...., really?  Why do you keep bothering me?  Why are my doctors so interested in our relationship?  Why does my waistline tell me I'm not 25 any longer?  And, what's this AARP thing that just showed up in the mail?  Also, why are our daughters laughing at me and my hairline?  They keep using a new word...what is it...receding?  And my mom and dad...they keep saying, "I don't believe it" or they call me their "little boy."  50, why are you so confusing?

Maybe my biggest question is this--  Where's this whole "wisdom" thing I've been hearing about?  For years I've heard about becoming "older," and "wiser."  I think there may be a mistake.  Sure, I'm older now, but I don't really feel all that wiser.  If anything, I feel like I know even less than I did when I was 25.  What's up with that?  Did you forget to put wisdom in the package?  Am I the only one who has reported this mistake?  How are you going to fix that?  Even more, how do I get wiser?  I guess I'll just keep trying?  I tell my students that we should never give up.  We call this grit at our school?  It's worked so far, and we're not about to stop now--especially this year.

What's that?  Birthday wishes, you say?  What about my birthday wishes?  I get to make wishes?  I know I'm not supposed to tell my wishes out loud, but with so many candles on my cake this year I'm not taking any chances?  I'm just going to say them so maybe everyone can help me.  Do I get fifty wishes this year?  One, you say?  Just one?  Really?  I only get one wish?  First I was shorted wisdom, and now I only get one birthday wish?  I don't know, 50.  We may need to renegotiate...  No negotiations?  Ok.  One wish.

One wish...?

Just one...?

This year, more than any other year in my lifetime and perhaps a lifetime of lifetimes I wish....

I wish for...

Wait, hold on!  I'm getting another call...  It's 75, and I need to take this.  75 says it's coming in half the time you came, and I need to be ready.  Maybe 75 will offer more wishes?  If so, I need to be better prepared.  I'm going to ask for peace, joy, understanding, kindness, and love.  

Awwww...hold on one minute.  75 just told me the best way to make these wishes come true is to start now?  Start now?  Yeah, 75 said something about spreading seeds of these things now.

Say, 50...Any chance you'd help me out?  Let's work on this together.  I know I'm blessed, but this world could really use a lot more peace, a bundle of joy, a heap of understanding, a giant scoop of kindness, and love--all that you can provide.  Can you help me out, please?

What's that?  Go talk with my students?  They're already doing this and more?  Listen to my staff and colleagues?  They're overflowing with all of these?  Love my friends and family unconditionally?  Offer and accept forgiveness?  Help others?  Give generously?  Live my faith?

Say, 50?  Maybe you're wiser  than you look?  You're probably right.  I do need to listen to you more.  Thanks for everything.  Let's make this the best year ever, and thanks for calling.

Now, about this receding hairline thing...

Comments

  1. Happy birthday to you Mr. Asher! Hope you are doing well and you have a wonderful 50th! God bless you.
    Jessica Orlowski

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Mr. Ascher!! When you retire, please consider writing because you are awesome with the pen!! I just love this blog! Celebrate because you deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff, David! Enjoyed reading it. (50 + 29; oh, I wish I was 50 again! Not really, though!)

    Keep well! Bob VanEvery

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great!! Happy birthday David!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the blog. Happy birthday Mr. Asher. Wish you good health and happiness always!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Call to Action

I Won the Lottery

Transitions and Thank you