Dear Willis and Linda

Dear Willis and Linda,

By now you've heard I am retiring at the end of this school year.  I have so many people to thank for my career, but I have been hesitant because I know I would miss recognizing someone.  I hope the countless colleagues, students, staff, parents, mentors, and friends who have supported and inspired me in so many ways will find a bit of my thanks here.  Still, I couldn't end this journey without reaching out to you, Linda and Willis.  

It's been over 35 years since we first met when I was a junior in high school.  Willis, do you remember that first meeting?  You were a School Board member for our little, rural district in Wisconsin, and you asked the high school principal (390 students in grades 9-12!) who should consider attending Purdue University--7 hours away and in Indiana.  The principal called me to the office, and you offered to drive me for a weekend visit.  You chatted with my parents, and you and I made the trip about 3 weeks later.

This was, of course, long before the Internet, and in order to learn about colleges and universities, you had to visit them.  Through no fault of my parents, visiting colleges just wasn't something we talked about, and I always thought I would attend a local university--a mere 30 minutes away.

To say that trip to Purdue and my time at Purdue changed my life is perhaps the greatest understatement I could or will ever utter.  While at Purdue I nurtured my faith, I discovered my profession, and I ultimately found the love of my life--my wife.  Who could have known that your gesture of kindness and support would mean so much to me and my family?

And sweet Linda, you didn't attend that first trip to Purdue with Willis and me, but you and I made a quick connection when you learned I wanted to be a teacher.  You were an educator yourself, and we talked about our shared experiences and insights around supporting students, families, and teachers.  I didn't find out until years later that you provided me with a subscription to a prominent educational journal.  I probably never told you how I would pour over each issue when it arrived and talk with my principal about the latest research.  That relationship ultimately led me to become a school principal myself. 

Yes, both of you changed my life.  I remember asking you how I could ever repay what you did for me, and I'll never forget Willis's response, "Just pay it forward when you can."

For the last 30 years I've tried to do just that.

I've tried to be the best educator possible.

I've tried to learn continuously.

I've tried to lead with integrity.

I've tried to live my faith and inspire others to be kind to each other.

I've tried to be empathetic and understanding.

I've tried to be firm when necessary.

I've tried to help.

I've tried my best.

Even though I am retiring soon, I will continue to "pay it forward" for others.  While I am unsure of what new adventures await me, I know there will always be opportunities to help and inspire others.  You taught me that.

I would give anything to be able to hug both of you on my last day of work.  Linda, I will see you as soon as possible.  Maybe we can watch a Purdue game together?  Willis always loved our Boilermakers.  Willis, you are a part of me even though you are no longer with us.  I miss you terribly, but if the thousands of amazing students I have hopefully impacted -even just a little- are any indication, you will both live forever.

I love you.


Sincerely,

David 

PS--I'd like a little credit for our daughter also attending Purdue!


Never underestimate the impact of even the smallest gestures of kindness and inspiration.  You could be changing a life!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions and Thank you

A Call to Action

I Won the Lottery