Community Says it All

Someone told me one time, "We have one mouth but two ears.  So we should listen twice as much as we talk!"  I hope I am not alone in the fact that I need to listen more, but lately I regularly hear phrases that bring me great comfort at my school.
  • Our building engineer beams at our hallway and cafeteria floors, "These are my floors.  I want them to shine for the kids."
  • Our bus drivers report, "These are my kids too, Mr. Ascher.  Please let me know how I can help them."
  • Our cook smiles and states, "I just love our lunch team.  Everyone is here to help our kids."
  • Our secretaries comment, "Our teachers are just amazing!  Look at all they do."
  • Our teachers say to each other, "Let me know how I can help.  The students in your class are my kids too."
  • Our before and after school CARE leader stops in the office and finishes a project for us, "I want to help.  This is my school too!"
My list could go on and on.

I listen for ownership and teamwork.  I listen for kindness and support.  I listen for advocacy and hope.

Recently one of our kindergarten students walked towards his home - as he does each day - after dismissal, but there was a mix-up where his grandfather normally meets him.  Fortunately, another parent in our school community noticed the mix-up and brought the confused little boy immediately back to our school.  His teacher and I comforted the boy, and within minutes the boy was safely with his family.  This sense of community is absolutely precious and critical in a school.  I am grateful that at our school we look out for each other.  Our families support each other.  Our families support all students and staff.  This example was a simple but profound act that made all the difference for that boy and his family.  Our students recognize this community and thrive because of it.

Somedays, of course, I hear things that make me concerned.  Most of the time these concerns are focused on needs that we are struggling to meet.  There are days when there just doesn't seem to be enough hands to help all of the students at one time.

Let me explain.

It's no secret that all of our students are unique.  Some of our students are learning how to speak English.  Others are working through emotional trauma.  Some students have challenging home lives.  Some students have struggles--physical, emotional, and learning.  Some have all three and more.  AND at our school these students are embraced, supported, and loved.  But-some days there just are not enough hands.

Then this picture showed up in my inbox.



These are students preparing to go outside for recess.  It was one of those days where there just weren't enough hands to go around.  And yet, this little girl knew she had an extra hand to help her special friend.

It's been said that a picture says 1,000 words.  This picture captures what I hear in our school every day, "We are a team.  There's room for everyone, and we can and do help each other."  Our kids might not always say it exactly like that, but that's what I see, hear, and feel each day.  I also know this community is not created by accident.  It starts at home with our families, and our staff nurtures it each day. 

I am grateful for all of our students and for the entire Novi Woods community.  Thank you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions and Thank you

A Call to Action

I Won the Lottery