Our "Little bit of good"

"All of this is to say thank you for the foundation you laid for me; encouraging me to push myself, learn endlessly, and to be kind."

That is just one line from a letter sent to one of our elementary teachers from a soon-to-be graduating senior.  The teacher had this student when she was a new, young person in our district, and now the student will be graduating from high school and pursuing her next dreams.  Nothing--and I mean NOTHING--means more to a teacher than to hear from a former student and to know that maybe--just maybe--you made a difference.

Teachers don't measure "making a difference" by profit and loss statements.  Some would choose to have us measure the difference we make by only high stakes testing.  While it's easy to measure academic achievement and growth, wise educators know they are not what is most important.  Yes, we help our students learn and grow in academic areas, but wise educators know that we teach children--and not just academic standards.  Children, of course, come with different experiences, hopes, and skill sets.  Teachers and schools bring all of those differences together, build a community of support, and help students grow academically, socially, and emotionally.

Every year it's easy to lose sight of what is most-important.  Media outlets, administrators (this principal included), the state, and really the entire "system" are sometimes focused most on academics.  It's OK.  I am grateful our district and the teachers in my building do not shy away from this accountability.  The support our community offers us to focus on academic growth and achievement is truly remarkable compared to other districts.  Still, I struggle to know if I really make a difference.

It's no secret the last two years have been emotional.  The pandemic, labor shortage, supply chain issues, and several other dramatic events have bent our educational systems more than anything in the last 100+ years.  It's not all hyperbole to say I believe we have "moved mountains" to keep our doors open.  Sometimes that effort causes us to lose focus on what is most important or causes us to feel like we don't make a difference each day.

Our superintendent, Dr. Steve Matthews, sends an inspirational message to all staff each week.  His "three paragraphs" follows a predictable format, and many of us look for it to be in our inbox early on Friday mornings.  His most-recent email:

Paragraph One:  Desmond Tutu, a South African leader and person of integrity, died December 26th. He once said: Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.

Paragraph Two:  In a world that is often confusing, at times overwhelming, a tad bit messy, I often wonder what impact I am having. Desmond Tutu reminds me to focus on my "little bit of good."

Paragraph Three:  I see little bits of good everyday in this district. Keep at it. Those little bits of good make a big difference. Happy New Year!

Within minutes I received a text from one of my teachers who shared how much this email meant to her.  It was a reminder for her to focus on her "little bit of good,"  and she had recently received the following note:

Dear Mrs.  -------------------

I haven't seen you since I had my Honors Algebra 2 project at Novi Woods my sophomore year.  Believe it or not, I'm a senior now.  I'm applying to colleges and getting ready to move onto the next stage of my life.  Before I do that though--leave this stage behind--I realize that I need to reflect on the people that sent me on the path that I am on now.  The first person I need to thank is you.  You were the first adult outside of my immediate family that I felt safe with in Michigan.  I couldn't have predicted the kindness and love you gave me.  (Your) grade made me want to be just like you.  Some of my fondest memories took place in your classroom.  All of this is to say thank you for the foundation you laid for me; encouraging me to push myself, learn endlessly, and to be kind.  I still want to be like you, maybe not as a teacher, but as a positive influence.  Thank you for allowing me to grow and setting me on the way to a life I hope will be fulfilling.  Thank you for welcoming me.  Every Halloween I remember my first day in your class and can only remember love.  Happy Holidays!  I hope all of your kindness returns to you this season.

This "little bit of good" made all of the difference for this teacher.  When she shared it with me, I was quickly reminded of what is most important, and it made all the difference to me as I refocused for my day and a new year.

Let's remind ourselves to focus on our "little bit of good," and know that we do make a difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions and Thank you

A Call to Action

I Won the Lottery