Dear 2022

Dear 2022,

I know we are about to begin dating, but I need to be open with you.  I'm just getting over a long-term relationship that has not always been positive.  2021 started hopeful, of course.  When 2021 and I first met we were hearing about vaccines and exiting the pandemic, but it quickly turned dark.  So many words have now become part of our daily news feeds; insurrection, variant, breakthrough cases..., and I am tired.  My colleagues are tired.  Our students are tired.  Our families are tired.  The world is tired. 

Still, I am hopeful.  Anytime I begin a new relationship I try to remain positive.  I try to set goals.  I try to listen and remain excited, and I will try.  I promise.

I will try to lose that 10 pounds that I gained in the last year.  Yes, I will clean out my workroom and closet.  Yes, I will practice my guitar more.  Yes, I will reach out in love to those extended family members and friends whom I never seem to see.  Yes, I will catch-up and read the books that are stacked up by my bedside.  Yes, I will try to be more grateful because even 2021 had its blessings.

Overall, my family is healthy.  Our daughters are doing well in college, and my wife and I have amazing jobs we love.  I, especially, am able to work in an environment that is challenging but supportive, understanding and loving, fast-paced and filled with joy.  My staff, students, and their families are an inspiration for me each day, and I hope that at some point our students' understand what we accomplished and navigated through in 2021 was nothing short of miraculous.  2021 was "normal" for our youngest students, and I am hopeful for you, 2022, to be more gracious and easy-going.  Everyone needs to breathe and to take a breath, and we are depending on you.  We are depending on each other.

I have always tried to live by an adaptation of a famous prayer from the 13th century.  Your older sisters and brothers probably remember it.

Make me an instrument of peace.
Where there is hatred, I want to sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.
I seek not as much to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
I believe it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned.

Our school created a special mural in our front lobby. All students were able to engage with it, and I hope it stays up for our first few dates!


And so, 2022!  Here's to what I know will be a special relationship.  Yes, we will get to know each other.  Let's make this the best relationship for all time!

Sincerely,

David Ascher





Comments

  1. Thank you for your wonderful message and your positive attitude, it is reflected in your staff and students. My granddaughter started kindergarten at Novi Woods this year and it has been such a great experience for her, and I am so thankful that she is surrounded by such positive influences at school.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions and Thank you

A Call to Action

I Won the Lottery