Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Rememories!

"We're short."

Our school secretary and I know exactly what that statement means when we text each other at about 6 AM.  Each morning I receive an emailed report showing the substitute teacher needs for the day.  As much as we try to be proactive with our guest teacher needs, it is almost impossible to plan for flu season.  Unfortunately, our staff was hit pretty hard this year with the flu.  In fact, we even had some  long-time guest teachers who could not sub because they were ill.  We had staff out for 3, 4, and even 5 days at a time.  Although I had to convince some colleagues to not come to school, I am grateful that our staff knows it is ok to be out.  Coming to school with the flu is not good for anyone, and it's surely not good for our students.   

So, we were short guest teachers several days.

Our staff and students support each other whenever a need arises.  We are flexible, and learning continues.  We have teachers who volunteer to cover during their planning periods.  We have guest teachers who can occasionally come in if it's an emergency.  People do whatever it takes.  Sometimes, however, I get the opportunity to be a guest teacher.  Over the last week, I was a guest teacher for several classrooms, and I learned so much.  Actually, I re-learned so much.  As you can imagine I was a teacher prior to being a school administrator, but it's amazing what I have forgotten.  So, here's my quick list of rememories!
  • Our students and teachers have special relationships, and they care for each other deeply.  I had students wanting to make cards for their teachers, and I read guest teacher plans that provided deep insights in how to best support and help specific students.
  • Lots of kids use the restrooms--a lot.  I had forgotten what it takes to manage students  entering and leaving the classrooms.  Some of this, I know, was just trying to get out of work.  Much of  it, however, really was due to needing to use the restroom.
  • Technology is great when it works!  One lesson I taught involved showing a brief movie clip about electromagnets.  Of course, I couldn't figure out how to get the sound to work.  While, our technology department is great, I learned later that this was more "user" error (that's me) than the technology not working.
  • Routines matter, and our kids like to know what is happening next.  Student after student in multiple grades reminded me when I was subbing that, "Mrs. ---------- doesn't do it that way."  The intentional routines our teachers teach and our classrooms learn help us to be more effective and efficient with our teaching and  learning.
  • Everyone needs a break.  I found myself looking forward to lunch time when I could breathe, grab a quick bite, and plan ahead for the rest of the day.  Based on my observations, I believe the students felt the same way.
  • Students help each other.  I know this as a principal, but it's even more special when you facilitate it throughout the day.  Students learn together.  They help hold each other accountable.  They laugh together, and sometimes they even "plot" against the principal to see if he really will be consistent.  (I was mostly consistent.)
  • I didn't need to know everything.  No matter how clear I thought I was being, it wasn't quite clear enough for everyone.  I tried really hard to help with some fraction concepts.  A couple of times I had to put my hands up and say, "Mrs. -------------- will help you when she returns."  Then, another student came up and was able to explain the concept much better than I had for the last 5 minutes.  
  • Hearing a story read out loud is still a favorite time of the day.  Classes loved it when I read a story to them.  I'm so glad teachers read books and stories to our students.
  • Joy is contagious.  As challenging as it is to be a guest teacher, I have example after example of how joyous teaching and learning can be.  
It was reaffirming to live these experiences in our classrooms with our students.  It's difficult to be a guest teacher and a principal at the same time, but it also gave me many opportunities to re-learn and reflect on what we do, why we do it, and how we do it.  I work in a remarkable school with remarkable students and staff, and I am grateful.

PS--Wash your hands and stay healthy.


1 Comments:

At February 14, 2020 at 5:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

So very, very true and guest teachers so undervalued! I did my share of it and am grateful for those who still give. It takes a special person, which we know you are David! Thanks for the positive, healthy living, kind role model you provide Novi and South Lyon children and youth David!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home