Friday, December 15, 2017

Reflections from the End of a Shovel


It snowed in our area this week.  Most schools closed for the day, and this is what greeted me as I went outside with my shovel to clear our driveway.

My wife laughs at me because I like to get outside very early whenever it snows so I can shovel before anyone drives on it.  I say I go out early because it's easier to shovel that way.  (It is.) The truth is, I like the solitude.  I like to hear the silence, experience the quiet, and reflect on what is most important.  There's something about shoveling and seeing my progress that brings me great comfort.  Perhaps it's because "seeing" progress in my job as a school principal is sometimes harder to truly see?

At school there always seems to be more that needs to be completed.  One more email.  One more call.  Just one more conversation about: an amazing lesson or opportunity, how to raise achievement just a little bit more, or what we could do to help even more.  I love this about my job, and I'm blessed to work with colleagues who feel the same way.  We are constantly supporting each other to reach higher, push just a little bit more, or dig a little deeper.  I hope everyone has this type of community in their workplace, but I'm learning we are unique.  What my staff does in our building is special.  What our district does in our community is remarkable.  What our community does is amazing.

While I was shoveling today I was thinking about all of this and how grateful I am.

You and I know not everything is perfect.  It never is.  There are tough conversations and challenges to my job.  There are, of course, difficulties in every job, but I am grateful for my job and my colleagues and the community in which I work each day.  They make me better, and together we make a difference.

How do I know we make a difference?  Well, it's not always as clear as when I'm shoveling the driveway.  This week, however, a kindergartener and our music teacher reminded me what is absolutely most important.

A new colleague and I were touring the building, and we visited our music room.  The music teacher had the students reflecting on what they enjoyed most about their recent concert.  Students were drawing and writing, and we saw lots of smiles.  One boy stood out, however.  He was extra-busy writing on the front and the back of his page the words to one of the songs that our music teacher had taught the students.

May peace be always with you.  May the peace you show make your heart grow.
May love be always with you.  May the love you show make your heart grow.
May joy be always with you.  May the joy you show make your heart grow.

As we close 2017, I know we make a difference, and I am grateful and blessed.

Here's to an even better 2018!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home