Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Thanks, Moms

What do you say when you don't know what else to say?

Perhaps that's why I have never written about the so many mothers who have directly impacted my life?  I just don't know what to say.  I am blessed beyond belief, and I know it.  The words just never sound right.  In fact, I always feel a little boastful when I put on paper the moms in my life because I know many of my students do not have this in their lives.  My hope is that in sharing my story I may inspire someone to reach out and be a mother for someone who needs it or to be a better mother than they thought possible.

Both of my grandmothers are alive and doing well in assisted living.  They have always been integral parts of my life, and I was grateful to grow up living and being close to them.  As their oldest grandson, I always felt like I was the favorite, but I know there isn't really a favorite grandchild.  Despite raising large families of their own, I was spoiled by them, and I now go out of my way to spoil them as much as possible--even though I now live 7 hours away from them.

My mother in-law lives less than 5 minutes away from us.  Who knew that anyone could ever take you in and become another mother in your life?  For more than 20 years, Sandy has been a friend, a trusted confidante, a supporter, and a faithful inspiration through life's many ups and downs.  She is always on the look-out for the underdog, and I jokingly say she is the most valuable player on "Team Ascher" as my wife and I work to raise our daughters.  "We" would not be "us" without her.

Mom.  It's such a simple word, but my mother is nothing but simple.  She and Dad spent careers raising my sister and me, and then she worked even harder in the telecommunications field doing jobs in technology that were not even created when she first started working.  Nothing is ever impossible for my mother.  Need to mow more than an acre of grass each week without a riding mower?  My mom did it.  Need to feed a hungry family on a tight, tight budget?  We never went hungry, and we always felt like we ate like royalty.  (Who knew that meatloaf wasn't gourmet?)  Need to do a busy family's laundry without having a washer at home?  My mom did that for years!  Need to have wonderful birthdays and holidays where there was always room for one more person to join us?  Absolutely, Mom did this.  She did all of this and more even before she was 30!  (The next 30+ years require their own blog entry.)  My mother is an amazing listener, and she never passes judgement or thinks less of people because of their struggles.  What a wonderful gift she has tried to give me.

While not officially one of my "moms," my wife is perhaps the most important mother to me.  She is mother to the two most precious blessings in our life--our daughters.  She loves me despite my many quirks and faults, and she has helped turn two little girls into self-confident, independent young women.  Kim is forgiving and relentless at the same time.  She always goes at 110% until she comes to a halting stop and sinks into deep relaxation mode.  She has a wonderful ability to leave her work at work and to completely focus on what is at hand at that time.  She is able to plan ahead and resolve all possible hurdles before they become hurdles.  Most of all, her faith is pragmatic but filled with fire.  Simply put, she is my best friend, and she makes me a better person than I really am.  I am not complete without her, and I love her more than she probably really knows.

Are each of these women the same?  Absolutely not.  Are there more women in my life who have been like mothers?  Yes--many.  Are any of these women perfect?  For sure, no.  Perhaps that is why I love them all so much?  Maybe the fact that each of them has overcome trials and tribulations is why I love them?  Even more, none of them ever puts themselves first.  They have always put others before themselves.

As we get ready to spend a weekend celebrating Mother's Day, I encourage you to reach out and thank the women who have been mothers to you.  If you don't have any women in your life who inspire you, please contact me.  I know at least 5 women who would love to help you!

Happy Mother's Day, Grandma Ascher, Grandma Mac, Sandy, Mom, and Kim.  I love you.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home