Wisdom from Under the Sea

100 dives!  Wow.  I couldn't believe I was going to complete my 100th dive.  I've been a certified SCUBA diver for many years, and it's something I really enjoy doing because it usually means I'm on vacation where it is warm.  Also, our daughters were certified several years ago, and I enjoy it even more since I am with them.

Just to be clear, I am a "fair weather" diver.  While I've dived in cold water, I appreciate the warmth and comforts of the Caribbean!  Since we live in Michigan, I really only get to dive when we are traveling.

I was looking forward to my 100th dive while my family and I were on a recent trip to Grand Cayman.  Over the years I've been fortunate to see and experience diving with sharks, eels, sting rays, eagle rays, octopi, goliath grouper, and sea turtles.  Who doesn't love to see the "big stuff"  when you're exploring?  I was expecting nothing less for my 100th dive, and I let our dive master/guide know that.  I had really built up number 100!

Dive number 99 was amazing.  We saw six sea turtles in one dive.  This is remarkable, and I was anticipating my next dive.  The guide let me know he had a "special" loccation picked out for us.  We were headed to The Aquarium reef to see sharks and eels and maybe an octopus.  Bravo, I thought to myself.

The dive started like most dives.  We suited up, did safety checks, and completed a giant stride into the water.  Once everyone checked in, we headed down to about 60 feet.  The reef was beautiful and teaming with wildlife.  We saw schools of fish in all shapes and designs.  Deep blues, yellows, greens.  The colors reminded me of a rainbow.  We saw coral and sponges.  The sound of bubbles from our respirators put us in the mood to see something huge.  And I kept looking.

Coral reefs are elaborate eco-systems.  While coral might remind you of a rock, it is actually made of living creatures.  The combination of light, organisms, nutrients, and moving sea life requires a delicate balance that only can be achieved when every piece of the eco-system is working together, and the Aquarium Reef was working together.  Still, nothing huge.  No eels.  No octopus.  No sharks.  I was let down, but then I started thinking.

The reef was alive, and when I took time to look a little closer I saw that the entire reef system was working together.

Schools and school systems are very similar to ocean reefs.  Every day is not a "big" day at school.  From arrival to dismissal, we have systems in place to make sure our students are focusing on learning.  We have systems in place to greet students.  We have systems in place for students to share their lunch choices  Teachers create systems to alert students to the agenda and the accompanying learning targets for the day.  Classrooms have systems in place to share leadership with the students and to provide formative feedback.  We even have systems for what to do when a student is ill.  And yet, none of these systems are what I would call "mountain top" experiences.

We have other systems that go unsung.  How do we make sure our building is maintained?  We have a process?  How do we identify and hire the best staff?  We have a process.  What do we do if an emergency happens?  We have systems that we practice.  Let's not forget about the systems we have regarding working with our community, parents, and volunteers.  The list is endless.

Our school has just over 400 students.  Our district has close to 6500 students and over 600 employees.  Together, with our community, we have created a system that works together that is just as beautiful as a Caribbean reef!  It's called a learning system!

(PS--We saw a shark on dive #101!)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions and Thank you

A Call to Action

I Won the Lottery