Dear 4th Graders...

Dear 4th Graders,

Can you believe your time at Novi Woods is almost finished?  For five years we've been, "Growing great leaders" and reminding each other that, "It takes teamwork to make the dream work!"  Now, you're ready to be 5th grade students at Novi Meadows.  This school will not be the same without you.

You and I came to Novi Woods five years ago.  You were kindergarteners the first year I was appointed to be principal here, and I was scared and excited to be at Woods.  Many of you were also scared and excited.  I didn't completely know what I was doing or was even supposed to do.  Again, I've learned many of you felt the same way.  I really didn't know anyone at Woods.  Many of you were the same as me.

We've gone sledding in the winter, and who can forget the elation you shared with me as kindergarten students when you were told you could go to the "big" playground.  There have been dunk tanks and whipped cream eating contests at Family Picnic.  We've had Halloween parades.  I've become an ice cream sundae for you.  We've held-off rain during Walk to School Days, and many of you have "boogied the night away" at Family Fun Night.  I've checked your heads (and your teachers' heads) for lice.  There have been lots of wiggly teeth, several accidental scrapes and bruises, and some occasional hurt feelings.

You have learned!  Oh my have you learned.  For sure you've learned how to read.  You've learned how to write.  You've learned how to think and apply so many academic skills, but you've also learned lessons that are much more important than just "book learning."  I can ask any one of you, "Who is in charge of your learning?"  You look at me like I'm from Mars and reply, "Mr. Ascher, I'm in charge of my own learning."  You've learned how to work together.  You've learned how to work independently, and you've learned when to ask for help.  You've learned that school and life are more than just reading, writing, and math.  Your art projects and music performances are remarkable.  Your ability to apply media center and physical education skills in your daily life has improved.  You have learned that there is still so much to learn!

Our school is seen as a model across the state and even our country for our National Blue Ribbon exemplary status.  Several of our staff have earned grants and very special awards and honors.  You have earned special awards and honors that you have shared with me.  Many of your classmates have moved away or have joined us midway through our journey at Novi Woods.  Through retirements and district moves we've seen significant changes in the staff at Novi Woods.

I've helped with leadership chats, Pride Circle assemblies, Paws for Great Leadership cards and calls, handshakes, hugs, and songs.  We've laughed and cried.  You've looked out for me, and it has been an honor to look out for you.  I've never felt, however, that I had to look "out" for you.  I've always felt like I could work with you to help solve problems and to help you grow.  What I've learned is you've done the same for me.

Our time at Novi Woods, to say the least, has been magical.  Trust me when I say that not all schools experience what you and I have experienced.  Not all principals get such remarkable parental and community support or a staff who is absolutely hungry to learn more, do more, and be more for their students.  You and I have been the great beneficiaries of all Novi Woods has to offer, and I will forever be grateful.

What comes next?  That is up to you.  You are ready to soar.  Along the way, you will probably not remember all of your experiences at Novi Woods.  Of course, you will continue to be great students, and I'm confident you will be great leaders while in college and the many other opportunities that you will create after high school.  Wherever you are, however, you will always be a Novi Woods' student, and my wish for you is that you fondly remember Novi Woods as a place where we made a difference, a place where you were inspired to reach higher than you thought you could reach, a place where you were fairly held accountable, a place where you felt safe to take risks, and a place where you knew you were loved.

Make it a great day!  And remember, "It takes teamwork to make the dream work."


Sincerely,

Mr. Ascher


PS--Thank your parents.  Listen to them.  They will forever be your first and most important teachers.




Comments

  1. As always, I enjoy reading your blogs. Your points were most heart-felt . . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions and Thank you

A Call to Action

I Won the Lottery