Superheroes

It's an exciting week at our house.  Not only are our two, middle school-aged daughters anticipating the end of the school year, I told them we would go to the premiere of the new Superman movie on Friday.  I must confess, I like superheroes.

Yes, I have a box at the back of a closet filled with comic books from my middle school years that I just know (note the sarcasm) will be worth millions someday.  Some of my fondest memories from those years are going to the movies with one of my bachelor uncles.  Indiana Jones (not a "real" superhero, I suppose, but close enough), Superman, Batman...we saw them all in the late '70s and early '80s.  College, marriage, and young children have slowed my ability to get to the movies, but I'm glad to report our daughters (note...not my wife) enjoy a good (even a bad) superhero movie.  The newest Batman trilogy was insightful.  Spiderman was cool, and the Ironman and Avengers movies are still hits at our house on DVD.

But let's be real...

Our school and district honored 6 superheroes last week.  Six teachers representing a total of 176 collective years of service to children are retiring at the end of this week.  Our Board of Education honored all of the district retirees at  a reception and meeting.  Parents and students have held "surprise" parties for homeroom teachers.  We've had special morning announcements, a building retirement party, and wonderful gifts and memories shared across Novi Woods.  Our final assembly on Friday was a moment of tears of bittersweet joy and sadness as over 500 students and colleagues gave a standing ovation to these six professionals.

Leap tall buildings with a single bound?  
  • You should try teaching kindergarten and first grade students that art is more than hearts and rainbows.  Students in our building love Art class, and we have hallways filled with their work.
or
  • Try navigating the "system" to assist a non-English speaking family help their daughter get hearing aids?  Or teach a young victim of abuse that their future is bright and that there are choices to life that do not involve violence.
Faster than a speeding bullet?
  • Think about what it takes to explain to a family that maybe, just maybe, their child might have a learning or an emotional disability and then implement a plan to offer hope and ulitmately success for that child...over and over again.
or
  • Have you ever hugged a former student at his father's funeral knowing that his entire life (and yours) will never, ever be the same.  And then...welcome that same student back as a graduating senior to give him a scholarship from the PTO.  Being that safe place for young people...no matter what...requires super-human physical and emotional strength.
More powerful than a speeding locomotive?
  • Love your students and even cry when when they make serious behavior mistakes, but remain positive because you never hold a grudge and only offer hope.  Hope wins each and every time.
or
  • Help a child who does not fully understand her potential and turn her into someone who believes in herself while building a positive relationship with the child's home that is so strong that this child will always understand that 3rd grade was a pivotal, even life-changing year of  support, high expectations, accountability, care, and sincerity.
Plain and simple, I work with "real" superheroes, and these are just examples from the last 2 months!  Imagine the heroic accomplishments over their 176 years!

The passion, dedication, and sometimes super-human feats all of my teachers and the entire Novi Woods staff undertakes and exhibits every day and every year is remarkable, and this year has been no different.  It is not uncommon to receive emails from teachers late in the evening because they are concerned for a student.  I work with teachers who regularly "close" the building at 11:00 PM or "open" it the following morning at 6:30 AM.  Many times I find my staff members volunteering their personal time and energies before or after school to meet with students or their families to offer extra help.  I am also aware of significant monies teachers spend to make sure their students have supplies, snacks, or even lunch.  The teachers in my building plan and implement highly engaging lessons and have an absolutely undying desire and personal mission to help each student be successful.  This staff works together and moves mountains to help our students learn academic and emotional skills to become great leaders!  It is a privilege to be their principal.

As we close-out this school year and wish 6 of our colleagues the best, I personally thank Mrs. Lazar, Mrs. Ray, Mrs. Wagner, Mrs. Steinway, Mrs. Seidman, and Mrs. Sarnecki for being superheroes and for inspiring all of their students and colleagues to "don a cape and mask" every day and to make a difference in the world.  That's what superheroes ultimately do.


Finally, I would be remiss to not mention my father as part of my "superhero" blog entry since Father's Day is next weekend.  I love you, Dad, and you are my hero.

Comments

  1. Great leadership begets superheroes. My superhero is pictured center in the captured photo!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions and Thank you

A Call to Action

I Won the Lottery