Designers at Work

As part of Father's Day weekend, our daughters and I went to a classic car show.  We thoroughly enjoyed over 500 cars from the '30s through the mid-'70s.  I'm not sure I have a favorite era, but I am always awed by the intentional design of automobiles from the past.  Take a look:




























Clearly none of these designs would be hot sellers today, but in their day these cars were on the cutting edge.   The engineering in these cars used the latest technology and the most forward-thinking possible.

People occassionally ask what teachers do during the summer.  It's a funny question to me because some of our students think we never leave the building!  In fairness, our teachers need to sharpen their saws.  We are fortunate to be able to recharge ourselves, but I am always reminded how much "work" happens over the summer.

Even on the first week of official summer break for teachers, no less than 15 of our staff were in the building.  What were they doing?

Designing.

Teachers were "purging" old designs and files, but more importantly they were already making plans for the next year.  I saw teachers redesigning their classrooms, making team lesson plans for the first week of school, and dreaming about what the future could be.  They were activley engaged to intentionally design successful classrooms and lessons for the ever-changing needs of their students.

Also, many of our staff are taking classes and workshops this summer.  Either through graduate classes or local professional development, our teachers are constantly learning.  You can see some of the summer options for our teachers here.

I am grateful to work with a staff that gives their own time to intentionally learn, plan, and design for their students to be successful.  And while it's fun to review old designs, I am even more grateful my staff takes the best of what was and uses it create an even better future for what can be...for everyone.  Ultimately, this is our job...our work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions and Thank you

A Call to Action

I Won the Lottery