We Must Do The Work

Have you ever noticed it's easy to get caught-up in the petty things that don't really matter?

This is my very first real post on my very first blog.  It's interesting to me that I have spent the better part of the last hour worrying about how my blog looks.  I've been trying to get the perfect picture as a background and the best "gadget" to make sure everything looks professional.  After what seems like an inordinate amount of time, I realized I hadn't even thought about what or why I wanted to write.  As you can tell, I finally gave up on the cute pictures and links.  Rather, I decided to focus on writing.

After attending MACUL (Michigan Associations for Computer Users in Learning) last week, I was inspired to start this blog simply as a way to share.  I wanted to share my thoughts as a school principal and educator.  I wanted to share my thoughts as someone who cares deeply about children and their learning.  I wanted to share my thoughts about inspiring and being inspired by teachers and other professionals who put their passion for students on the line each and every day.  I wanted to share my writing.

When I was a classroom teacher, I was never accused of having the perfect bulletin boards, the cutest room, or the best clip art on specific activities.  I'm sure, however, I did get caught-up in plenty of things that did not matter as much as digging-in and teaching, digging-in and reflecting on my practice, digging-in and improving my instruction to better meet my students' needs.

One of the pillars in our district is K-12 writing.  As I attempt to help our building and district improve our students' writing skills, I'm reminded that the only way to get better at writing is to write.  We must do the work.  My greatest hope for this blog is that I model for staff and students that writing is thinking, and we must do it to get better at it!

Thanks for reading. Please excuse any typos along the way, and come back for more!

(And I'm hopeful that eventually this blog can look a little better with a completed profile, nice pictures, useful gadgets, .....)



Comments

  1. Great to see you blogging. I know this blog will be a great example and model for your students. Let me know how i can help in any way. Thanks for leading the way for the other principals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited to follow your blogging journey. Welcome to the ranks of bloggers from around the world. Keep up the good work!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the blog! I've totally neglected my poor teaching blog since having Dylan. I hope to catch up on my blogging over the summer.

    There's a great way to post your blog in the comments section of other blogs by using heypasteit.com. I can show you if you're interested.

    Erin
    Projects & Polkadots

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions and Thank you

A Call to Action

I Won the Lottery