Sunday, October 3, 2021

No Place for Hate

This post is not appropriate for young children.  Words and topics discussed here should be filtered by a responsible adult prior to sharing with any young child.  Thank you.


I was called a bastard last week.

To be fair, it wasn't immediately directed at me.  It was, however, directed to all public school teachers and public school administrators, and this comment was cheered-on by a large (70+) group of community members.

Let me put this in context, however.

I started one day last week by running with our school.  Our PTO had organized a Fun Run fundraising campaign.  We exceeded our goal, and each grade came outside to celebrate by running a track.  We were cheered-on by moms, dads, siblings, and grandparents.  The love and outpouring of support from our community was remarkable.

Our school is exceptionally diverse.  We have 25 unique home languages spoken in our school and over 50 languages spoken in our school district.  We see this as a strength.  Our PTO uses funds from their Fun Run drive to support all students and staff.  They host activities like a family picnic and trunk or treat.  They fund grade-level assemblies and help offset costs for fieldtrips.  They provide classroom enrichment dollars to all teachers, and they support the community by hosting several community service events.  Throughout the pandemic they hosted virtual events to support mental health, reading, and all families in our school.  It is an honor to work with our PTO.

Since the pandemic the Fun Run was the first "official" and in-person event where we were able to invite families to join us.  It felt so good to be greeted by diverse and supportive families.  I try my best to thank everyone for attending. I like to mingle with the younger siblings to get them excited about becoming future students at our school.  I really enjoy chatting with long-time parents, new parents, and grandparents while everyone cheers on our school and kids.  The literal and figurative support and love is special and inspirational.

The following morning our school officially unveiled our hammock garden.  One of our teachers was inspired by what she saw at a campground, and she pursued this idea for our school.  We partnered with our PTO and our district's educational foundation as well as several local businesses to install posts and purchase hammocks to hang between the posts.  We now have 41 hammocks set-up between 24 posts under three beautiful shade trees.  Classes sign-up to go outside and read and re-center themselves.  I believe we are the first school in the region to have a hammock garden.  The unveiling was our chance to thank the businesses and people for their support.






The evening between these two events was a little different.  An organization in our community shared they were hosting a retired school teacher to speak about her "...experience in the public school system..."  I was interested in attending because this former teacher and I worked in our district for the majority of our careers.

I attended the evening event with five other colleagues.  The group met in the basement of a local restaurant.  We entered and headed to the only open table which was in the far corner of the room.  As we were navigating the aisles between the tables I overheard a person say, "Well, the intruders have arrived."  Without responding we took our seats.  

The presentation was sad and hate-filled to me.  She highlighted mistruths or only half-truths.  That, in itself, did not bother me.  I was offended when the speaker called the current Coronavirus the "Chinese" virus multiple times.  That is a racist statement to me.  She seemed very upset that Christian values had been lost in our public school system.  In my almost 25+ years in our district, that has not my experience at all.  Yes, we have learned about different cultures, but as a white, English-speaking, Christian male, I have never felt guilty or demonized in our community or district.  It was interesting to me she closed her presentation telling all families to homeschool their children.  (She had previously distributed cards advertising she was a homeschool teacher.)  To be very, very clear, homeschooling is each parent's right. While my wife and I did not choose that option for our daughters, I know families that have.  I am not offended by homeschooling.  I am not for or against it.  I am biased towards public education, of course.  But, homeschooling is a right.

Sadly, her presentation did not surprise me.  I know more of the story, and what she said did not shock me.  I was, however, most offended and scared by what happened next.

There was time for questions, and several people asked to speak.  Most opted to use the microphone to share rather than ask any questions.  Some people shared their bad experiences with public schools.  I do not have a response for any of them because I do not know the context of their experiences.  I am sure there is another side of each story, and I know that public schools are not perfect.  I have made mistakes in my lessons.  I have used bad judgement.  I have tried my best to learn from each misstep and get better.  My words of advice to any parent who is concerned is to work with any educator or administrator to overcome these obstacles.  Genuinely and sincerely, I have tried to do this for almost 30 years.  

The final person to take the mic was when things got dangerous.

An older man took the microphone and shared he was an active door knocker for this organization, and in his experience the absolute worst people were, "...public school teachers and administrators.  They are all a bunch of bastards."  The room erupted with clapping.  Yes, erupted.  I was scared for our safety.  I started looking at the exits and making my plan to make sure our table could leave safely and quickly.  I was astounded at the hate and vitriol in the room...in the community where I have taught for more than 25 years.  I felt dirty for even having been there.  

The same morning where our parent community had cheered all of my students and my entire school ended with hate.  When I was excited about the next morning and our hammock garden unveiling was prefaced with an organization in our same community allowing hate to filter to others.  Hate.  Yes, hate.

I left dumbfounded.

What has happened in our community and in our schools?  What has been so traumatic that someone would publicly call a public school teacher a bastard and then an entire room of community members--members of the same community that has supported me and our kids and schools for so many years--would erupt in cheers of support for that same hate?

There is no place for hate.  There is especially no room for hate around our children.

I chose to become a public school teacher and eventually an administrator because I wanted to help kids and our communities grow and be better.  Have I indoctrinated and warped kids' minds?  (Those verbs were used by the organization in a later tweet about the event.)  If I have indoctrinated anyone about anything, it has been around kindness, respect, tolerance, perseverance, teamwork, and academic & mental health support for all.  But the hate-filled response by members of this organization left me astounded.

The title of my blog is A View from the Principal's Seat.  I never knew my view would include a look at hatred for my profession and my colleagues.  I know what I experienced that evening was just one small example, but I never expected hate to become a rallying cry in our community.

I am sad and disturbed.  I am angry.  I am worried...  

I am hopeful.

As I shared above, the following morning was the unveiling of our hammock garden.  I know how hard so many people worked to make this dream a reality for our students.  I knew how kids were responding to the garden.  I also knew the sign that was installed.  These businesses donated thousands of dollars worth of time and materials to help our school and our students.  This official sign was even donated.  It sums-up the mission and goal of our hammock garden.



As I read the sign aloud to the students and special visitors, I choked-up and had to take a deep breath to finish without crying.  Later, a colleague who was at the unveiling commented about my deep breath.  I told him it had been an emotional 24 hours.

Yes, I am hopeful.  I am hopeful because the students, staff, and families I serve each day represent hope and not hate.  They represent empathy and not vitriol.  They represent respect for each other, and there is no place for hate in a school or community--ever.







16 Comments:

At October 3, 2021 at 9:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Principal Ascher,

First and foremost, I'm thankful and grateful you and your colleagues are safe. There is no time for hateful speech or hurtful words in our community, country, or world. You are to be commended for your commitment to educating our precious children, who by the way, adore you and love you. Your energy, enthusiasm, love, and light shines through every day we see you. With a child who has attended only 19 days of school at Novi Woods, I can say she's exactly where she needs to be and getting the education she deserves. You have helped her and countless other children let go of their parents each day, and walk into a building to learn, grow, thrive, and achieve.

To those who called you names and spewed their vicious word-vomit at you the other night, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Shame on you, all of you who clapped and supported a teacher promoting her next selfish endeavor and putting down the school district that lined her pockets for years. Shame on you for allowing your selfish, insecure and horrific demeanor hurt someone else, let alone our wonderful principal.

Keep your head up, Mr. Ascher and know you are respected, loved and supported.

 
At October 4, 2021 at 12:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mr. Ascher,

You are obviously a very passionate educator. I have no doubt that you greatly enhance the educational experience of the children who fall under your care. Teachers and students alike surely benefit from your presence.

It’s evident that there was no eloquence in the way opinions were presented at the meeting you attended the other night. I was not there, I likely disagree with many of their opinions, but please allow me to attempt to do better at presenting a bit of a counterpoint if I may.

It’s concerning how much focus you’ve placed on not being called, but merely being present when the “b-word” was directed not at you, but at your profession in general. It’s obvious from comments on here, on Twitter thus far, that the vast majority of feedback you’ll receive will have nothing of substance. People will simply agree with you, thank you, and purposely twist voices of frustration into voices of “hate”; a clever way to shut down constructive conversations before they can even begin.

Perhaps a more appropriate position to take would be to ask why these people feel this way. Why are their opinions of teachers, administrators, public schools in general so jaded? Especially in such a high performing district?

First, unions in general often evoke skepticism from the public. Whether deserved or not, teachers unions are perceived to be some of the worst. There’s an old mantra that unions never let a good crisis go untaken advantage of, and obviously we’re in an unprecedented crisis with COVID.

While I can’t speak for the group that you reference, nor do I agree with their vile, here are some things that frustrate me, and many of the parents with whom I interact:

-A complete lack of parental involvement. Zero presence at school, no opportunities to volunteer, all events cancelled or greatly diminished by being made virtual. It’s great that your school did have an in-person event; sadly the one that my child attends has made no attempt to do anything. Remember that many kindergarten and first grade families have never interacted with their teachers or principal in person. I’ve never even entered my child’s school. When the district alienates families to such an extreme, even if the motivation stems from safety, it’s inevitable that friction is created.

-Greatly expanded walk zones. Perhaps starting ALL elementary schools at the same time was someone’s pet project? Being unwilling/unable to adequately staff bus drivers despite additional state funding; the district has consciously transferred a great burden to parents.

-Silly things like banning kids from bringing in cupcakes on their birthdays. I assure you, most people over the age of 30, who were able to do this joyful thing as children, find this ridiculous.

Whether it be COVID or cupcakes you need to have faith in your community for your community to have faith in you. To simply lock down schools, to have the default answer to questions be “no” or “we can’t” is disheartening. My oldest child didn’t experience Novi schools prior to COVID. I have no “normal” experiences to draw faith from. I see no end in sight; while most of the world has resumed a semblance of normalcy schools join airports and hospitals in their stubbornness (whether right or wrong) to move forward.

Often in small, closed environments (like a school district) groupthink prevails. Perspective can’t be gained unless it’s sought. Rather than focus on bad words, writing a blog to garner empathy, do the hard work of engaging and moving forward together. When external voices are silenced, or ignored, they sometimes lash out. Perhaps that’s what you experienced the other night? Community engagement is essential.

Again, you are obviously an amazing educator. I have little doubt that most teachers and administrators are tremendous, passionate individuals as well. Many relationships fail due to a lack of communication. Perhaps the disconnect between the district and community is as simple as that.

 
At October 4, 2021 at 7:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comments, and I am grateful for the feedback. I can't address everything you wrote here. Our Fun Run was an event where families were able to join us, and we have a "Walk to School" event this week. I do appreciate your ideas about "why" might this be happening. My sense is it is not one thing but a collection of actions or beliefs. Some are definitely in our control. Others, unfortunately, are probably not. I am hopeful and confident that our community can come together for our young people. Over and over, that is what I try to highlight and celebrate in different blog entries. Thank you.

 
At October 4, 2021 at 9:28 PM , Blogger GrapeCherry said...

Name calling is not a productive or helpful way to promote better communication. Maybe some who are interested in more opportunities to connect with schools could start by obtaining their CDL and becoming bus-drivers. Two birds with one-stone.

 
At October 4, 2021 at 11:22 PM , Blogger Dee Engerer said...

Mr. Ascher, You are a true leader to our children and families. The photo of you running with the kids says it all. The multi colored hammock garden is a great tribute to the multi cultural community of Novi that comes together as one. This is what makes Novi so special. The teachers have helped to bring that harmony by focusing on core values.The group you speak about is full of ignorance. Thank you for your care, hard work and dedication.

 
At October 6, 2021 at 2:20 PM , Blogger lifetime scout said...

I am sorry that you and your colleagues were exposed to this. I stand with you and our Novi schools any day. In fact, I just signed a petition to make it official. https://chng.it/njB9gVHF7H

 
At October 6, 2021 at 11:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mr. Ascher, we are truly grateful for you and all NCSD educators. You deserve SO much more than the vile words used at that event. We stand with you in saying there is #NoPlaceforHateinNCSD. For those who might read this and agree, please show your support for our educators by signing and sharing change.org/NoPlaceForHateInNCSD

 
At October 6, 2021 at 11:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dee, if you haven't already, please let all our teachers know you stand with them and against hate by signing change.org/NoPlaceForHateInNCSD

 
At October 6, 2021 at 11:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Sign and share change.org/NoPlaceForHateInNCSD to let all our NCSD educators know that we support them and stand against hate!

 
At October 6, 2021 at 11:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mr. Ascher and all our NCSD educators deserve SO much better than these vile words. GrapeCherry, I invite you to sign and share change.org/NoPlaceForHateInNCSD to let our teachers know we stand with them and against hate.

 
At October 7, 2021 at 8:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...


" People will simply agree with you, thank you, and purposely twist voices of frustration into voices of “hate”; a clever way to shut down constructive conversations before they can even begin."

There is no place for name calling in a "constructive conversation".

 
At October 7, 2021 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Chris said...

Mr. Ascher - If you or a collegaue happened to record a video of this talk, please share it with the community. I would only ask if you followed your own advice (link below) in posting this blog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzzRdg6ksfg

A lot of the problems parents raise with public schools can be made smaller through transparency, and I'd encourage you to support making Novi the most transparent in the State when it comes to our curriculum and making teacher workshops open and available to parents.

 
At October 7, 2021 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know who those people were who said that or why but I can imagine it's been a very difficult time for parents too. I respect people and try to understand their way of thinking and I try to separate any issue from personal attacks. As a parent its been very difficult knowing my children have to wear a mask to school everyday for hours with no evidence that a mask even prevents or helps but I can help it but feel frustrated when I see teachers outside without a mask on while you force my kid too wear one. Just because adults are vaccinated doesn't mean you won't get covid or transmit it. It's double standards like that that are frustrating. Untilwhen wiki you force my kid to wear a mask that could actually get him sick but inhaling all that in all day. Parents are frustrated please try to understand as a parent your child is number 1.

 
At October 7, 2021 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

America spends the most on educating our youth with less than good results. As an example, I questioned some graduates of the Novi and Farmington Schools, who all received excellent marks, on WWII. They did not even know some of the basics, like the major countries involved and approximate dates. Stunning. Can't run a country with future leaders with a knowledge base so lacking. If you think I'm exaggerating about this, then question some recent high school graduates. See what they know. Basic civics--nonexistent. Very disappointing.

 
At October 8, 2021 at 11:35 AM , Blogger Crystal Cannon said...

Thank you for your work in public education. The teachers in public schools are practically saints in my eyes. Of course I'm a retired public teacher, so yeah. What can we do about the hate? Just keep loving and praying for our misguided neighbors to finally open their eyes and wake up. Teachers have been loving and caring for kids since teaching began and we will continue to do so. If they think they can do it better, let them take their kids out of school and try to educate them at home. Most kids will be back within weeks I bet... Keep looking forward and being who you are, an educator. You are educating by writing this to share with us! My daughter is in Novi schools and I'd love to see her reading in that hammock garden. Wish I could enjoy it myself

 
At October 9, 2021 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Tomato Grower said...

Your statement "with no evidence that a mask even prevents or helps" says everything to me. Unless you are not scientifically oriented or dont believe in data; masks do prevent spread of germs including covid. Talk to your family physician if you trust their words.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home